Step-By-Step Process

If you are planning a project in Clean Water Services' jurisdiction we are here to work with you. If your project is in BeavertonCorneliusForest GroveHillsboroSherwoodTigard or Tualatin you will need to work with your city. The permitting process is intended to be comprehensive and depending on project scope, may include review for environmental, sanitary, stormwater and erosion control impacts.

Questions? Request a Pre-Design Meeting or call the Permit Counter at 503.681.5100. 

Process for Homeowners 

Any construction on your property including remodeling, adding a deck, driveway or fence, re-landscaping or demolition will require review and may require a permit through Limited Development Review. Exceptions to this review include any interior remodel that doesn't change the footprint of the structure, alter the ground or increase impervious surface. Find steps for your process below.

Before you begin any project call the Oregon Utility Notification Center at 811 before you dig.

Unincorporated Areas & Smaller Cities

If your project is in Clean Water Services' jurisdiction or in a smaller city (Banks, Gaston, Durham, King City or North Plains) you will need to obtain the appropriate permits from CWS before getting permits from your county.

  • Step 1: Submit your Pre-Screen Form and site plan to start the Environmental Review and Limited Development Review process.
  • Step 2: Obtain your Service Provider Letter (SPL) and any applicable permits from CWS. If no permits are required, CWS will give you a form indicating permits are not required.
  • Step 3: Submit SPL and permits (or CWS form) to the county issuing building permits.
  • Step 4: Once permits are issued, you can begin construction. Call for inspection

Larger Cities

If your project is located in one of the larger member cities (Beaverton, Cornelius, Forest Grove, Hillsboro, Sherwood, Tigard or Tualatin) you will need to start the Environmental Review with CWS, then continue the process with and obtain permits from your city.

  • Step 1: Submit your Pre-Screen Form to start the Environmental Review. All projects require you to submit for an Environmental Review before the city will issue permits. 
  • Step 2: Submit the Service Provider Letter to your city.
  • Step 3: Once your city issues any needed permits, construction can begin and city staff will inspect the project.*

*For projects in the cities of Tualatin and Tigard, Clean Water Services staff will conduct the Erosion Control Inspection.

Process for Developers 

Developing a larger area with multiple buildings, commercial construction, partitions or sub-divisions? Permit reviews will be necessary, find tools for the process.

Engage with the Development team. Get started:

Pre-screen Form

Receive news on what we are doing in the community and our innovative solutions to continue on providing clean water.