Site Development Permit

The Site Development Permit authorizes the construction or modification of sanitary sewer, storm sewer and water quality/quantity facilities. It's also the review process for erosion control on sites larger than one acre.

Depending on the site’s jurisdiction the City or County will be part of the Site Development Permit Process. The cities of Beaverton, Cornelius, Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Sherwood, Tigard and Tualatin review development plans with regard to sanitary and storm sewer requirements within their jurisdiction. Clean Water Services reviews development plans with regard to sanitary and storm sewer requirements within unincorporated Washington County, Banks, Durham, Gaston, King City, North Plains.

Initial Submittal Requirements

Please refer to the complete list in the Initial Plan Submittal Requirements (PDF, 118KB). Key requirements include:

  • Complete, stamped Engineering Plans
  • Land Use Authority Conditions of Approval
  • Complete Drainage Report, including sizing calculations for all utilities and facilities (See D&C Standards 2.04.04)
  • Landscaping/planting plans for facilities and vegetated corridors
  • Erosion control plans

Once your project has been submitted and is under review you can check your status of the project at Engineering Plan Review Status or City Plan Review.

Incomplete submittals will be returned without review. Plans will be reviewed within 15 business days if complete, and may require 10 more business days if resubmitted for additional reviews. 

Post Plan Approval Permitting Requirements
  • Cost Estimates for all sanitary and storm sewers, facilities, erosion control, and landscaping/restoration
  • Performance Assurances (bonds, escrow, etc)
  • Construction Permit Agreement
  • Off-site easements
  • DEQ 1200-C/CN Permit for sites one (1) acre or larger
  • Copies of any necessary US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) or Department of State Lands (DSL) permits

Clean Water Services must hold easements for all public sanitary sewer, storm sewer, water quality/quantity facilities and vegetated corridors. For new development, most easements will be documented on the plats. Plat review is part of the Site Development process. Before construction starts, any off-site or unplatted easements must be approved and accepted by CWS. Please refer to Standard language for platted easements for additional information.

Easement Vacation (Quit Claim)

In order for CWS to give up legal interest in an easement, the applicant must submit the required information and fee. If a facility in an easement is being relocated, the easement cannot be vacated until the relocation is complete and accepted by the District.

Encroachment Approval

Only with CWS staff approval may a permanent structure be placed on or above a sanitary sewer or storm and surface water management easement. An approved encroachment must not limit CWS access to the facility for maintenance and repair. Approval is required for buildings and elevated structures such as decks and overhangs. To apply, submit information about the size and reason for the requested encroachment with the fee.


Marvin Spiering 
Engineering Plan Review Project Manager 

Receive news on what we are doing in the community and our innovative solutions to continue on providing clean water.