Be Rain Ready
Before heavy rains hit, get your home ready and help prevent neighborhood flooding with these tips:
- Clear leaves and yard debris off streets and storm drains.
- Clear gutters and downspouts.
- Keep yard debris and leaf piles away from drainage ditches and streams so that rising water does not carry the material downstream and block a culvert.
- Bring leaves, grass clippings and pine needles to a free Leaf Disposal November 18 or December 2.
During heavy rains, Clean Water Services crews are standing by 24 hours a day at 503.547.8100 to respond to flooding problems that threaten public health, safety or property. If rising water occurs:
- Visit a self-serve sand station located throughout Washington County. Please call ahead to confirm hours of operation and availability of sand and bags. The sand is for FLOODING PREVENTION USE ONLY. Remember to bring your own shovel.
- If water is more than a few inches deep, never stand on a storm drain or try to remove it, give us a call at 503.547.8100.
Learn more about flood risk, emergency preparedness and insurance on our Flood Facts page.