Preparing for heavy rains
During heavy rains, Clean Water Services responds to local flooding problems in low lying areas of urban Washington County. Crews clear leaf-clogged stormwater grates, inspect and clear culverts and monitor known problem areas to ensure the public drainage system is operating properly.
Our crews are standing by 24 hours a day at (503) 681-3600 to respond to those flooding problems that threaten public health, safety or property.
How you can help:
- Get leaves out of the street and off catch basins. Take them to a free drop-off event November 22 or December 6, 2014.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear.
- Keep yard debris and leaf piles away from drainage ditches and streams so that rising water does not carry the material downstream and block a culvert.
- Self-serve sand stations are located below. Please call ahead to confirm hours of operation and availability of sand and bags. The sand is for FLOODING PREVENTION USE ONLY. Remember to bring your own shovel.
- Flooding reference information
Self-serve sand locations:
Get a complete list of Washington County sand sites.